Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I'll be out of my mind...

I would be, rather, if the BBC didn't make such smashingly fantastic TV shows.


Right now, BBC Merlin is my very favorite. I haven't got time to write a full review, but the show tells the story of the great sorcerer Merlin as a young man in Camelot. Using magic is against the law, and for a guy with a natural talent for it, that is a bit of a problem. The creator of the law is the king in town: Uther. He's Arthur's dad (not dead in this reworking of the legend, though Arthur is a young man) and he believes magic to be evil. Is it because he believed the old religion to be wrong, or perhaps because of something rooted deeper?

It's just such a great show. I feel as though movies and TV today barely ever make a distinction between right and wrong. It's so chock full of relativity, and those who are shown to believe that truth exists are depicted in most TV shows as ridiculous or intolerant.

That drives me NUTS. My french teacher seems to share the common opinion that truth is abstract and relative. Luckily, she doesn't grade my papers with a bias for her own beliefs.

So when BBC Merlin actually speaks (blatantly) of doing the right thing, of choosing a higher good (such as knowing and acting on the fact that a good end does NOT justify a bad means), and actually speaking of this as laudable, I'm so glad! I'm so grateful for good TV shows like this.

It's not perfect. Not by any means. Not safe, necessarily. But it IS good.

No comments: