Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ablaze With Wondrous Things

These latest posts have been titled with Owl City lyrics for a very good reason.

This is that I absolutely love Owl City. He's an excellent artist, he produces and mixes his own work, and he's very creative. Plus his music stirs new ideas up inside me. It's really wonderful.

His newest CD, All Things Bright And Beautiful, came out today! I hopped on over to my favorite bookstore in town and found it with the help of a sales associate because their organizing system is really awful. You'd think that on the first day of its release they'd put it on the New Release stand, but no! They have no taste.

For me, his songs have to be digested. I listen the first time and get a vague feel for it, but every time I listen after that, it's like I'm discovering a new layer of his intent with the music, and the emotions he means to stir up in the listener. Maybe just the emotions and feelings that are stirred up in me.

An example of this was something I discovered while listening to "Galaxies" for the tenth time the other day. I heard this bit:

"Oh, telescope, keep an eye on my only hope
lest I blink and be swept off the narrow road,"

I never thought of it before, but he sounds like he's reminding himself to keep an eye on God so he stays on the straight and narrow. Wow.

Right now I'm listening to my new CD for the very first time. It's really great and fun so far. His music is fresh and clean and bright and, well, beautiful! I love "Angels"-- it's so beautiful and has a great melodic line.

So there's my fandom and my big, enormous excitement about a whole new CD. I love new CDs that have songs on them that I've never, ever listened to.

Have a lovely night/day!

-Tina

1 comment:

Sky Destrian said...

"WAKE ME IF YOU'RE OUT THERE!" :P

I love your thoughts on Galaxies. That song has taken on so much more meaning now after reading your post about it.

You know something else I realized? In Angels, there's this part that struck me as really fascinating:

"I keep my knees black-and-blue 'cuz they often hit the hardwood floor,
And I believe so I'm not praying to the ceiling anymore..."

I think he's talking about how he often hits his knees in prayer. Which made me even more endeared to that song. I've been listening to the album on repeat lately. ♥ Such GOOD stuff.